Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
Sitting 4 games back behind the Minnesota Twins for the lead in the AL Central, the Indians are looking to add some firepower to the line up to make a nice playoff push. Here are some of the top names in the market right now to help this Indians team.
- Whit Merrifield– Sporting a slash line of .316 / .365 / .870 with 12 HR & 48 RBI Merrifield would be a beautiful piece to plug right into the outfield. Although this trade may be a little unrealistic this would be an ideal move for the tribe as they could really use Merrifield’s bat and versatility. For this trade to happen it would likely have to be a 3 team trade including Indians starting right-hander Trevor Bauer and/or some of the top prospects from their farm system.
- Domingo Santana- Another player that would make most sense trading for is the Seattle Mariners right fielder Domingo Santana. Domingo is currently hitting .277 with an OBP of .343 and 19 HR with 64 RBI. Santana is a young player who is on contract through 2021 only making $1.95 million. He would fit right in with the teams needs playing right field and hitting in the heart of the lineup.
- Yasiel Puig – Depending on if the Cincinnati Reds are sellers or buyers this trade deadline the Indians should definitely try to put together something to bring “The Wild Horse” or also known as Yasiel Puig to the corner of Carnegie and Ontario. Puig’s slash line this season is .261avg / .303obp / .813 ops, hitting 22 home runs and driving in 57 RBI. Clearly, Puig would be a nice addition to the line up adding a good glove in right field and being able to hit clean up. Puig is a guy that has been on a playoff / World Series team before with the Dodgers so he knows what it takes, you must try to trade for him at this point in the season if you’re the Indians and IF the Reds are willing to let him go. ( Yasiel would be a free agent at the end of this season)
- Nick Castellanos – Not among some of the big names in the league but definitely a great ballplayer in Nick Castellanos. Castellanos is hitting .283 which is just the second-best average in the Tigers line up behind the one and only Miguel Cabrera. He has also knocked out 10 homers and has 35 runs batted in, he doesn’t have as much power as some of the other guys on the list but I think Castellanos would be an immediate upgrade to Clevelands line up. There is one year left on his contract.
- Franmil Reyes or Hunter Renfroe with Luis Urias – This trade package would be the one that makes the most sense if you ask me. The Indians are in dire need of help in the outfield with a nice power bat and you would get that with either Reyes or Renfroe. Reyes is hitting .250 with 26 home runs and 44 runs batted in, Renfroe is hitting .249 with 27 HR and 49 RBI. You cannot go wrong with either one of those guys. Now, adding Luis Urias to this deal really makes this a GREAT deal for the tribe as he can play anywhere in the infield and is very young with a ton of potential. It seems as he may not be 100% ready for the MLB just yet but his work in the minors shows that he could be a nice piece for a big league club some day. I feel he would be able to take over the second base position over the next couple years and take over for Jason Kipnis after these last couple years of lack luster performance from him.
Hopefully, the Cleveland Indians make some moves that benefit the roster and line up well in these next 12 days.Lets get ready to buckle up and start this postseason run!