Image by Ron Jenkins / Associated Press
As we all know, Ezekiel Elliot is a young and elite running back in today’s NFL. With the recent news that Elliot has privately threatened a lockout if he is not bigtime paid, the Dallas Cowboys have a huge decision to make that will affect not just this season but many seasons down the road. The Cowboys have not just a decision to pay Elliot, but Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper also will want bigtime money in the future.
"Ezekiel Elliott’s got 2 years left on his contract and he’s putting you through this nonsense? Trade him. I would trade Zeke.”@ColinCowherd reacts to Zeke planning on a training-camp holdout pic.twitter.com/6CX8VMBI59
— Herd w/Colin Cowherd (@TheHerd) July 16, 2019
Currently, Ezekiel Elliot is still on his rookie contract which makes him the 10th highest-paid running back in the NFL.
- In my opinion, Ezekiel Elliot is by far the best “running” back in the NFL. 6 foot 225 pounds makes him extremely difficult to tackle in the open field.
- It is pretty obvious that the Cowboys value Ezekiel Elliot more than Dak Prescott by leading in rushes and yards last season. Elliot is hands down top 3 at his position, while it is debatable if Prescott even cracks top 10 at quarterback.
- Melvin Gordon wants a lot of money from the Chargers. In games where Gordon did not play last season, the Chargers were 4-0 and averaged 27 points per game last season. Elliot is such a dynamic threat running and receiving the football that if the Cowboys were to trade or lose him they might not even make the playoffs.
- He has basically been injury-free for his career (knock on wood). The only games he has missed are via from his suspensions or late-season rest in prep for the playoffs.
- He can do everything at the running back position: receive, block, and carry. Amari Cooper, Dak Prescott, and the rest of the Dallas Cowboys WILL NOT be the same without Ezekiel Elliot.
- Injuries, injuries, injuries. Running backs are generally more capable of getting hurt. Just look at running backs that have gotten PAID but then get hurt- Todd Gurley, David Johnson, Melvin Gordon, and Devonta Freeman.
- There are other good running backs who are undervalued that you can get for decent value or late in the draft- Chris Carson, Phillip Lindsey, and James Connor. Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara were 3rd picks in the 2017 draft.
- His off the field issues could be a little concerning. I would suggest that Elliot and his team hire a bodyguard for him.
- The Dallas Cowboys need to pay Ezekiel Elliot because he is so young and so gifted/talented at his position. His game changes the way how the Cowboys play out on the field each week. When he is rolling, the Cowboys usually win. The Cowboys have a legitimate shot to win the Super Bowl this coming season and that is what the expectation should be.